Sunday, September 5, 2010

Beep Beep Yo Bus is Here!

Ramadan is nearly over. For some this just means that they can now eat during the day and will have a less exact time of when mughraib comes in. For children in the Middle East, it means back to school. Today my sister took me to my nieces school to pick up the uniform and show me around. In Libya I visited an elementary school that was the doppelganger of a prison. Rooms were bare, concrete caves with a small window and chalk boards. So, I was interested to see how the school and classrooms looked here.

 In Dubai, there is no public school system. All schools are private and you pay to send your kid, and at this particular Dubai school, Dubai Wataniya (Dubai National) it was a bit of a disappointment. The building was nondescript, classrooms were big and white washed. Honestly you know what. no one does a classroom up like Americans. It was missing the bean bags, the reading corner. Where were the colorful bulletin boards? Albeit it wasn't as bad as a Libyan school, they were still pretty empty and boring. I think when it comes to education, Arabs only know one style, strict.

I'm sure my niece gets a quality education and the teachers aren't monsters, but still it would be nice to see more color about the place. I wonder if they can hit kids here.

1 comment:

  1. I always wondered about the schooling system in other countries! There is just no comparison to the pretty colorful classrooms in America! There is usually a pet in most rooms too, I don't see that in other places a lot. I could see some of my relatives wanting to cook the fish in the fish tanks. Haha, Bengali's love their fish!

    ReplyDelete